GIA-Conference-08-10_edited The annual culmination of Girls in Action (GIA) is Girls Central Conference, an event created to address the unique needs, issues, and challenges facing middle school girls. The Conference is designed by girls for girls to teach leadership skills and celebrate being girls in a positive and safe environment. Thirty girls attended the 1st Annual Conference, held in June 2007. GIA girls developed a budget, fundraising strategies, marketing plans, and workshops and facilitated most of the workshops. Sixty-two girls attended the 2nd Annual Conference held in March 2008. The 3rd Annual Conference, held on March 28, 2009, saw a 37% increase in student registration from 2008 with 94 registrants from 5th to 8th grades.
The 4th Annual Girl Central Conference will take place on Saturday, March 13, 2010. Click HERE for a conference application and brochure.
Workshops included: College and Cupcakes, Self-Defense Class, Stand Up and Speak Out, Body Image and Media Literacy, Health and Fitness, Conflict Resolution, and Relationships. Goodie bags, group games, activities, raffle prizes, dance class, BREAKFAST and LUNCH were all included!
Evaluations distributed at the 3rd Annual Conference revealed the following (% of participants in agreement with statements): DSC06176
- 91% learned about leadership skills at Girl Central
- 89% felt he teachers were inspiring at Girl Central
- 88% said the conference made them hopeful with what they want to do with my life
- 90% learned how to communicate positively with girls their age at Girl Central
- 94% said they are going to create goals that will help them in their personal life after Girl Central
- 94% said they will create goals that will help them with their education after Girl Central
- 90% felt better about themselves after completing the conference
- 99% had a high level of confidence that they can use the skills they learned at the conference
| DSC06371 || DSC06177 || DSC06249 || DSC06086 |